Monday, February 25, 2013

"First Line Poetry" on a Wintery Day


           One assignment that I routinely give my Creative Writing students is "First Line Poetry."  In this assignment the students pick a first line from a long list of first lines from famous poems.  Usually, though, the students have not read enough poetry on their own to recognize more than a couple of them. (That's sad... and the subject for another posting when I am feeling the need to vent.)  At any rate, I always like to do the same assignment as the students, as I've mentioned before, because I want to 1) show the students it is possible, and 2) keep my own writing sharp.  I usually pick one of the lines that the students leave on the list.  Their loss. Big grin.
            Today's skies were grey and cloud-filled: a bit of winter lingering in the encroaching spring.  A fellow teacher and I were on our way into the building to do our daily "Tardy Sweep" duty when she commented with a sigh that it had been so pretty earlier (when the sun was shining).  While I can acknowledge the beauty of a sunny day--all yellow and blue warmth--I must admit the preference for a wintery grey day where the clouds are hazy and look like felted shadows and wool sweaters piled on the floor of the sky.  Thus, while I didn't write this poem today, it popped into my mind because of the "cloudy and grey days" and the way they make me smile and want to share.


“Half-full”

“Sweet day, so cool, so calm, so bright”—
I concur with Herbert: that is the life.
No pacing back and forth all the night;
Immune to the terrors of trials and strife.

Even cloudy and grey days make me smile
And shrug my shoulders at a weary world;
Living life to its fullest is just my style;
The King’s in this castle, the flag is unfurled.

Troubles and heartaches may come and go,
But I keep my head up and face to the wind.
Instead of keeping my spirits or thoughts low,
On my future all my best hopes are pinned.

A smile on my lips, a twinkle in my eyes—
I look toward a future of no sad goodbyes.


(with thanks to George Herbert for the first line)

No comments:

Post a Comment