Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Reflective Teaching: Day 23, Community Involvement

Day 23--Write about one way that you “meaningfully” involve the community in the learning in your classroom. If you don’t yet do so, discuss one way you could get started.

I wonder what it means to be "meaningfully" involved? I have used the local paper in my classes. I have encouraged my students to volunteer in the community. I have had the kids actively participate in donating food and clothing to the local food bank.

I have not, however, involved the community beyond those things.  I teach Intro to Sign Language, and next semester I will be teaching Intro to Sign Language, II. The second course will be more about having conversations and interpreting. I hope to invite the Deaf community to be involved in my class so that the students can experience authentic signing. So far, that is my plan.  I haven't progressed beyond that point, but  I'm still working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment