Tuesday, November 18, 2014

November Blogging Challenge: Colleague Appreciation Day

Day 18
What do you appreciate about your colleagues?

I get a birthday card from my superintendent.  The janitors in my building ask how I'm doing.  The wrestling coach greets me every day.  My content area teachers give me Christmas gifts.  The teachers down the hall from me always include me in their hallway chatter.  I could go on and on.  The people I work with are great. 


I appreciate that my colleagues ask hard questions about their process in order to make their classes better.  They work collectively.  Even those teachers who teach stand-alone classes and don't have other teachers who teach the same subject to collaborate with work within their department and others to incorporate the standards the state requires us all to touch upon.

I appreciate that my colleagues support each other.  A couple of years ago when one of our co-workers had some major bills because of a family crisis, our faculty and staff came together to help out in various ways.  They are invested in each other's lives. They celebrate joys and commiserate sorrows.

I appreciate that my colleagues laugh over stories shared in the lunchroom.  They share recipes and photos and crochet directions.  They help un-jam the copy machine or fill it up with paper when they're done with it because that's the kind of people they are.  Of all the reasons I appreciate my fellow teachers, though, I think that the one thing I appreciate most is the way they all want the best for the students we serve.  They make me want to be a better person and teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment