Sunday, November 9, 2014

November Blogging Challenge: Developing an Attitude of Gratitude

Day 9

What is one way you could develop the Attitude of Gratitude in your classroom or school? Try it out and let us know how it went in a couple of weeks.

A couple of years ago (yikes...I just checked and realized it was back in 2005 or 2006) I went to a conference session about putting drops in other people's buckets.  The presenters were using the book How Full Is Your Bucket? by Tom Rath and Donald Clifton.  The authors use a classic metaphor of a bucket and a dipper in relation to how every interaction with others can have a positive or negative impact.  Everyone has the opportunity to use his or her dipper to either fill or empty someone else's bucket.  In addition, when you use your dipper to fill someone else's bucket, you actually get your filled, too.

The presenters gave us copies of these droplets to use in our classes and at our school as a visual way to fill other people's buckets.  I used them for the rest of that year, but I haven't really used them since.  I see the book on my shelf, and I see the droplets in my filing cabinet; however, I have to admit to letting this really great way to encourage each other get dusty.  I will have to start this up again in my classes and/or in the teacher's lounge.   Thanks, Blogging Challenge, for reminding me about the importance of developing the Attitude of Gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment